HKM’s ongoing success is a direct result of the firm’s experienced personnel, progressive leadership, entrepreneurial spirit, and dedicated commitment to serving clients.
HKM is strategically focused on:
- bringing innovative approaches to complicated issues,
- striving to deliver superior results for our clients,
- delivering extraordinary client service, and
- building community.
We value our attorneys and staff for their past experiences, diverse talents, and personal contributions.
- Collegiality, collaboration and respect are the key elements of the HKM work environment.
- Employees at all levels are supported and encouraged to maximize their individual career growth potential.
- In addition to providing a positive, pleasant work environment, HKM offers a very competitive benefit package.
HKM is an equal opportunity employer. The firm provides equal opportunity with respect to hiring, promotion, training, discharge, compensation, benefits or other terms, conditions or privileges of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, military service, or genetic information.
HKM is a great firm for associates to build a rewarding and successful career.
- Our associates work in a positive, pleasant environment where the firm’s values and goals are clearly defined.
- Substantive work is assigned to associates early on in their careers.
- New associates have the unique opportunity to work directly with clients on dynamic and sophisticated legal matters.
HKM recognizes that a team approach is the best way to provide the highest level of client service. Associates gain valuable legal skills and experience from the numerous opportunities afforded them to work on trials and special projects alongside shareholders, as well as other associates.
Pro bono work is also an important part of HKM’s culture, and each HKM lawyer is encouraged to actively participate.
HKM offers its lawyers a strong professional development program. Associates are encouraged to maximize their individual career growth potential. The firm strives to ensure that associates receive the training, mentoring and support they need to succeed at the highest levels.
- Associates have daily, informal interaction with their peers and shareholders in their practice groups.
- The firm’s Associate Training and Mentoring Committee organizes monthly attorney lunches where educational programming and informative sessions are presented by members of the firm, experts, consultants, and the judiciary.
- Associates are encouraged to attend Continuing Legal Education (CLE) seminars to help them hone their skills and further enhance their knowledge applicable to their practice.
- Associates are taught the importance of cultivating strong and meaningful relationships with both clients and professional staff.
“I enjoy the collegial atmosphere of HKM. The environment is fast-paced and there is a real effort made to recognize attorneys for their hard work and good results.
As an associate, you have opportunities to work on high level cases from beginning to end. These are real opportunities on actual cases where your involvement counts. Most of my cases are in Minnesota or North Dakota, however, I am also working on cases around the country. The national case involvement is an interesting aspect of our practice as it exposes you to developing law in different jurisdictions, and offers an interesting perspective on how trends in these cases are developing nationally.
The popular monthly attorney lunch series includes an associate presentation on new developments in the law. The meetings have some structure, but also informal time to sit down and check-in with other lawyers you may not see each day. We also use this forum as a sounding board if you have a unique issue to explore.”
John Wells, Associate
Associates are evaluated on an annual basis by those shareholders with whom they have worked. Respective shareholders provide written evaluations, and each associate completes a pre-review questionnaire. The review meeting is conducted by the associate’s supervising shareholder and a member of the firm’s management committee.
- Compensation is commensurate with experience.
- Salary increases are based on the associate’s demonstrated:
- Legal skills
- Hard work
- Client relationships
- File management
- Mentoring relationship
- Dedication to the firm as a team player
- Respect for all the firm’s employees
- Participation in community service and professional associations
- Access to a discretionary annual bonus plan
HKM offers our associates a highly competitive and comprehensive suite of benefits, including:
- Health and dental insurance
- Flex benefit plan (e.g., day care, out of pocket medical)
- Long term care insurance
- Life and disability, accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Firm sponsored short term disability insurance
- Voluntary supplemental short term disability insurance
- Voluntary accident and critical illness policy
- Fitness and wellness program:
- On-site fitness center
- Discounts to fitness club memberships provided through health insurance
- Annual flu shot
- Paid parking
- Portable device allowance
- Monthly data plan allowance
- 401(k) plan
- Paid bar association dues and CLE expenses
Experienced Litigation Attorney
We are actively looking for an attorney with trial experience to work on complex transportation, product liability and commercial matters in our fast-paced environment. In addition to courtroom experience, a proven track record of independently managing files is a requirement. Candidates must have excellent interpersonal and written communication skills, be organized and able to work independently as well as part of a team.
Candidates must have experience with:
- Legal research and writing
- Drafting pleadings
- Responding to written discovery
- Mentoring younger attorneys and working with paralegals and case assistants
- Interfacing with clients
- Taking both fact and expert depositions
- Strategizing creatively and collaboratively with a practice group or client team
- Presenting arguments before a judge and/or jury
HKM offers an opportunity to work on complex and high stakes matters with exceptional clients and experts. Our practice places a premium on and values high standards of achievement, quality, analytical ability and drive for excellence. We have an outstanding team of attorneys, paralegals and staff with which to work and prepare cases.
HKM is a rewarding firm to launch a legal career. We offer our law clerks practical, hands-on experience designed to help them develop many of the skills required to become successful attorneys.
Law clerks typically work full time hours during the summer months and part time hours during the school year.
Scope of the Position
Our law clerks are often involved early in the beginning of substantive legal matters and acquire valuable experience as active participants in:
- Case investigations
- Legal research
- Drafting of legal memoranda or briefs
- Discovery techniques and responses
- Preparation of contracts and other binding legal documentation
Law Clerks are frequently invited by members of the firm to attend:
- Client meetings
Our law clerks also actively participate in case evaluations and case reviews.
“As a law clerk at HKM, I have developed core legal skills from writing briefs and organizing document production to preparing for hearings and trials. HKM treats its clerks like first-year associates. From day one, I was encouraged and trusted to seek out work from partners and associates and to excel in many different areas.
Highlights of my clerkship:
- Working on a motion for summary judgment that was granted, and subsequently helping prepare the appellate brief when the Order was appealed to the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Assisting with trial preparation for a plane crash case, which included drafting materials for motions in limine and attending conferences with our corporate clients.
- Attending depositions, settlement conferences, mediations, and hearings for experiential observation.
I have collaborated with nearly every attorney at our firm and the majority of that work has been extremely substantive. I am fortunate to have developed lasting relationships with my colleagues. Overall, I feel my input matters, my arguments are well taken, and the firm actively has a stake in my development as an attorney.”
Aidan Zielske, Law Clerk
Respect, collaboration and collegiality are key elements of our work environment at HKM. Our administrative staff is talented, highly skilled and has a wealth of experience.
HKM offers support, mentoring and encouragement to employees for their career growth potential. A competitive suite of benefits and a positive, pleasant work environment is enjoyed by all employees.
Legal Case Assistant
Our asbestos practice group is adding a second legal case assistant. Duties include
- Docket cases
- Access and retrieve documents from online court filing and database systems
- Identify documents and compile for deposition and exhibit books
- Assist with organizing documents, both in electronic and paper form
- Scanning and photocopying
- Save emails and documents into document management system
- Update charts
- Type medical summaries
- Maintain asbestos library
- Previous experience in a law firm
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and Outlook and the ability to quickly learn new software
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong work ethic
- Professional demeanor
- Ability to take direction, prioritize, and work independently
- Effective in a team environment
- Ability to anticipate and meet deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communication
“I have enjoyed serving as the firm’s receptionist for more than 15 years, managing incoming telephone calls, and greeting clients and visitors to our office. I am comfortable making suggestions for improvement that impact my area and feel that the firm values my opinions. In my position, I also have many opportunities to work on a wide variety of projects and enjoy the independence the firm gives me to accomplish those projects.” Geraldine (Geri) Scholl , Receptionist
“HKM is a great place to work because of our people. The team members I support are always willing to assist and guide me if I have questions. The combination of their support and my skills enables me to have confidence and pride in my work product.” Gail Chapman, Legal Secretary
“I have enjoyed working with senior litigators for eleven years on complex litigation matters. Our cases are very interesting, we enjoy working together, and I know the lawyers are very appreciative of my work. Everyone in the firm is very helpful and always willing to pitch in and lend a hand. I enjoy learning new systems and have been given many opportunities to grow in my career. Others in the firm now look to me as the “go-to” resource for help with court filing questions and appellate briefs. I keep very busy doing work I really enjoy with wonderful people. The years have flown by!” Cheryl Miller, Legal Secretary
“As HKM’s Billing Manager, I really enjoy my role and the contributions I make to the firm. The atmosphere here is friendly and everyone is approachable and willing to help each other. I am friends with everyone I work with and I look forward to coming to work each day!”
Jennifer Russell, Billing Manager